Learn how to remove blood stains, step-by-step. These stain removal tips will help you get your clothes clean. Always check and follow your appliance and product use and care instructions before beginning any task, as it should be your primary source of information.
Removing blood stains from clothing can be quick and easy, as long as proper steps are followed. A common mistake people make when attempting to get blood out of clothing is washing the stain in warm water. Be careful to avoid this mistake and remember to always wash blood stains in cold water. Follow our step-by-step guide below to remove blood stains from sheets, towels, jeans and more.
HOW TO REMOVE BLOOD STAINS FROM COTTON & COTTON/POLY BLENDS
Good for: white clothes, lights, darks, jeans, towels, sheets
HOW TO REMOVE BLOOD STAINS FROM POLYESTER, SPANDEX & NYLON
Good for: white clothes, lights, darks, active wear
HOW TO REMOVE BLOOD STAINS FROM WOOL, SILK, LINEN, RAYON & ACRYLIC
Good for: sweaters, blouses, sheer fabrics, swimsuits
- Flush fresh blood in cold water as soon as possible.
- Soak in cold water with gentle detergent for 30 minutes or longer.
- If any stain remains, apply some detergent directly on the stain and wash in cool or cold water with an oxygen bleach.2
Never apply heat to a blood stain
Whether you’re washing or drying, exposing blood stains to heat will cause proteins to bind to fibers, essentially “cooking” the stain into your clothes.
TERMS TO KNOW FOR THIS STAIN REMOVAL GUIDE
1. Enzyme detergents target stains such as blood, food stains, grass, and others. These are most commonly liquid formulations but powdered formulations are also available. Check the label of your detergent to see if yours contains enzymes.
2. Oxygen bleach is an alternative to traditional chlorine bleach that is generally safe on colors. It's colorless, fragrance-free and comes in either a liquid or powder form.
GET MORE TIPS FOR TACKLING LAUNDRY
Our grass stain removal tips will help you get your clothes clean. Learn how with this simple guide.
Learn more about how to remove ink stains from clothes with this step-by-step guide.
Removing red wine stains from your favorite outfit is achievable in a few simple steps. Learn more here.