PUT EVERY DISH IN ITS PLACE
Whether you have two racks or three, you can fit more dishes and enhance cleaning performance by learning how to properly load a dishwasher.
Step 1: LOAD THE BOTTOM RACK
Put large plates, large bowls, cookware, serving platters and silverware in the bottom rack. Fill in gaps with small plates.
Step 2: LOAD THE UPPER RACK
Load cups, mugs, small bowls, tupperware and anything made with plastic in the upper rack.
Step 3: LOAD THE THIRD LEVEL RACK
If your dishwasher has a third rack, it's a good place for large utensils and items like measuring cups. Maytag's 3rd Level Rack has extra loading space for mugs and bowls, and features a specialized wash zone that sprays high pressure water along the full length of the rack.
TIPS ON HOW TO LOAD A DISHWASHER
- Put plastic in the top rack, farther away from the heat source.
- Load items at an angle with dirty surfaces facing down, so they are sprayed directly. Make sure bowls and plates don't overlap.
- Check that nothing will block the detergent dispenser or upper and lower spray arms.
- Load sharp silverware pointing down. Use the slots in the silverware basket covers to keep items separated. Flip up or remove the covers if your silverware won't fit.
- Unload the bottom rack first and leave plastic items for last, so any leftover water won't drip on your dry bottom rack dishes.
MAKING ROOM FOR MORE
Some dishwashers have an extra, third rack at the top ideal for small, flat items like knives, spatulas and other large utensils. The 3rd Level Rack by Maytag also has room for mugs and bowls along with a specialized wash zone, bringing more loading space and cleaning power straight to the top of the dishwasher.1
More essential dishwasher info
Learn what’s going on inside your dishwasher and how it beats handwashing.
Understand the parts that drive your dishwasher and find replacements.
Boost your dishwasher’s drying performance with this guide to rinse aid and other tips for drier, clearer dishes.
WAS THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL? PASS IT ON
1. Compared to Maytag® model MDB8989SH.