Toothpaste stains may seem hard to remove because of the white residue they leave behind, but they can actually come out with a single wash or quick blot and rinse. However, some toothpastes contain bleaching agents, so treat stains immediately, and always check your clothing's care tag for specific requirements like dry cleaning.
How To Remove Toothpaste Stains from Clothes Right Away
- If you have time, wash the item in your washer with cool or warm water. If not, use a butter knife or spoon to lift away any remaining toothpaste on the surface of the fabric, then continue to the next steps.
- Wet a clean white cloth and gently blot the toothpaste stain.
- If the stain still remains, flush the stain with cool water, gently rubbing to help with removal.
- Air dry. Do not put in the dryer. Heat can set stains that aren't completely removed. If the stain still remains, machine wash with cool or warm water.
Never treat stains with a plush or dark-colored cloth
Always treat stains with a smooth, white washcloth or white, unprinted paper towel. More plush, fluffy fabrics, like your basic terrycloth, can leave behind lint, while a dark cloth may transfer colors to what you’re treating.
How To Remove Old Toothpaste Stains From Clothes
- Flush the toothpaste stain with cool water, gently rubbing it to help removal.
- Machine wash in cool or warm water, depending on the care tag instructions.
- Air dry. Do not put in the dryer. Heat can set stains that aren't completely removed. If the stain still remains, repeat these steps.
Even if the stain has been sitting, your washer’s normal cycle should remove it. Learn about common washer settings with this cycle guide.
MORE STEP-BY-STEP STAIN REMOVAL
How To Remove Blueberry Stains Don’t let a blueberry stain get you down! With our guide, you’ll learn how to remove blueberry stains from your clothes and all types of fabrics.
How To Remove Ketchup Stains Did you get a ketchup stain on your favorite shirt? Don’t worry - our guide will show you how to get rid of that stubborn ketchup stain.
How to Remove Grease Stains From Clothes Grease stain removal may seem like a challenge, but Maytag is here to help. Our guide to grease stains will help you remove them from common fabrics.